Sunday, May 16, 2010

The interesting decisions we have to make. What were we thinking as children?

     I've been at my parent's place this week since Thursday evening. My parents took my nephew and niece to Florida for a trip, and I've been house-sitting and hanging out with my youngest brother, Kevin. Even though we're not biologically related, he and I are the most alike of my siblings I think. We both just like to live in our own little world, goof off on computers, and are somewhat socially apathetic. We have had fun though. Nice weather the last few days led to us going to the park and just tossing the frisbee around at the park in the evenings. He's much better at a forehand throw than I am, I'm a little jealous.

     We've been eating pizza, drinking soda, ordering out Taco Bell... it's been easy meals and unhealthy, but what can you do, right? Guys just like things to be simple and satisfying.


     Sometimes there are more complicated choices to make than what to eat or drink in adult life, however. (Look out kids, you're getting a false idea of adulthood being wonderful!) Over the last few months, I've had a somewhat on-going but non-serious debate with myself about moving back home to save money for the future vs. living on my own for $x a month while having some perks, both social and personal.

Pros:
     I never have to worry about my music being too loud, cleaning up other people's messes, having people over at whatever o'clock, animal noise or messes, keeping other people awake with my night schedule, and other things I could list but that would mean little to most people. Independence with a little responsibility and perhaps even little expectation sums it up I suppose. The freedom to do whatever whenever with whoever (Or without anyone, as the case may be). Very close to the school once I return.

Cons:
     $x a month that could be saved for a house in the future instead. (I pay around a fourth of my month's income just for rent, not to mention car payments and other bills.) I also don't live close to most of my friends (Yes, Orem is so far away when you don't feel like driving, or the other party doesn't. We lazy? Probably my schedule more than anything, which isn't applicable in this topic), with the exception that I just found out my cousin Adam moved just down the road from me with some kids I knew from my old job. I honestly haven't given my new ward much of a chance since I moved in socially, and thus don't have any close friends around. Farther from school.

     Let me insert a small story here also that may give some social/peer weight to this conundrum: One of the early times I went to my ward's Sunday night ward prayer, I was still in the process of moving my "fun stuff" from my parents. (See: Computer, Big Screen TV, PlayStation3, procrastination for the sake of ease, etc.) and would stay over on weekends rather than move stuff. I met this girl at ward prayer who seemed nice enough, was friendly and was attempting to get to know me. I told her what I liked and how long I'd lived in the ward, taking care to mention I half lived in the ward at the present time and related my "fun stuff" still being at my parents.

     She replied, almost word for word, "Ewww, you still live with your parents???" Conversation terminated shortly afterward, and I'm sure in her eyes my illusion faded into a little boy who gets spoon fed food (And perhaps money!) by his parents. I was slightly offended and have ever since let that little ugly seed plant in my mind of, "Eww, you still live with your parents???" Ignore that I'd be saving money for a place so I wouldn't need to "live with [my] parents..." when I get married someday. Or my future wife's parents. Or that I'd have money to help take care of some debt. Or for a rainy day, or because, some people actually love their parents and like to be around them. I now think to myself that everyone would think of me, "Eww, you still live with your parents???" It's funny how we let other people play such a big role in our lives sometimes, especially the inconsequential ones like this girl.

     My parents would be thrilled for me to bring a girl over, but would the girl be as thrilled to come over to my parents house? This is perhaps an underlying but stalwart contender in the debate as well that needs mentioning. Although in all honesty, if the girl doesn't like my parents or visiting their place, that could be a deal breaker anyway.

      And thus we arrive at the fictitious social concern that, although it is fake, holds some weight in my mind. I think this is a general problem of mine, as much as I laugh at people in peer pressure or social pressure situations, my life is directed by them in my own mind at times. I judge people I haven't met and assume they're jerks and would think these things. Gotta fix that.

     I think there are wise, mature, and understanding young women out there who would see that as a smart choice. I just think they're already married to someone who may have been in this situation. Two or three of them married my friends, after all. I know at least two existed at one point in my direct social network a few years ago.

     The reality part about the debate is I've already committed to staying another year in Provo with my landlord. He's a nice guy, he'd probably let me opt out as there is no written contract for fall-spring. Or I could go into the Provo Contract Selling Business, 'cause that's super successful around school time and it is a nice place.


     What is more important to me? Independence and freedom at cost; or some restraint and an illusory stigma for free?

4 comments:

  1. you started a blog, John has no reason not to post on a blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right. If I can do it, John can do it. I can be his blogging exemplar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I know is that I want to punch that girl in the face! What a brat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...that girl is stupid. I was going to say..look at all your friends/people who lived at home Jon and still got married. (John, Seth, Michael, Sam, I'm sure there are plenty of others). Saving money and living at home will be worth it in the end. I never had to do that because I hated living at home and I had a job that allowed me the freedom to live elsewhere....and a brother who needed someone to live in his house.

    ReplyDelete